Thread: Exciting times for Darkfall

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Wessex View Post
    Right, and I will back up Sir Rhygar here to say that while the creation of a functioning in game society/kingdom was always the main goal of Wessex, it was always with the understanding, as long as the game supports it. We have never been one to handicap ourselves against the way the game actually is for the sake of an ideal - rather, our structures and concepts were chosen because in addition to being immersive, they are supposed to work. If Darkfall doesn't give any incentives to not be ARAC, then that is not our fault. It profits us nothing to force a specific race and class on our people because of our notions of "racial war". You will find in games, as well as in real societies, that racism, xenophobia, etc goes out the window when it's in everyone's best interest, hence, the realities of global commerce and ecclectic societies as they exist today.

Now, on a historical note - Hyperion became ARAC because we conquered vast swaths of territory where certain races dwelled. I was king of the entire region of Morak, so at that point, what ought we to do, not allow orks? Heh, the Greeks always hated the Persians, but when Alexander conquered Persia, what was he supposed to do? Not allow Persians in his domain?

At any rate, the present venture in Darkfall is not Wessex proper. It's not a duchy - it's a colony. Think the North American British colonies. They were headed by governors, not landed lords, and these did so in the name of the British Crown. And, as is often the case with venture colonies like this, they are rather motley and diverse. Think Barbados, or British Guiana for our current Darkfall enterprise, and Sir Kaylem as governor, holding what he holds as representative of a distant and occasionally concerned seat of power. The character of the colony itself: filled with all the color and variety of a port or a frontier town.
    Greetings manus, long time no see.

While I totally see your point I think that being arac oriented may have a lot of downsides directly hitting against the core principles of wessex, which I already mentioned above, and not only the fact that being arac doesnt fit very naturally with the original concept of the clan.
    Getting players from all races basically means allowing everyone with any mindset. And seriously, I dont think many orks or mahirims or alfars might want to join wessex because it brings a rp-functional feudal gaming society.
    Now I ask, if you aim to get this type of players what do you think will be left about wessex in a while?
    Sure you have some very good core of officers perfectly melted with what wessex really means, but what will happen when they are the only ones interested to keep the rp side of this community to a noticeable extent?

Also I think you are handicapping the clan much more with this type of policies than if only allowing players looking for that kind rp experience. Because as I said , I dont think the power of a clan comes from numbers but from concepts. And seeing a self proclaimed duchy with wolfs and orks is kinda contradictory for traditional rp'ers , or simply players that would like to feel immersed in such a setting. And there is those type of players in Darkfall and they are all from the same 3 races.

I dont have the feeling of being handicapped just because we dont have the chance to reach as many members as the average df clan. I would feel handicapped if we allowed alfar fps kids and the like inside a clan they simply shouldnt be looking for.
    Last edited by Aikar Walmoor; 12-24-2010 at 05:41 AM.

Thread Information